NSAW Fact of the Day: The Salvation Army on the Big Screen
NATIONAL SALVATION ARMY WEEK FACT OF THE DAY
Did You Know…?
The Salvation Army has been featured or mentioned in literally hundreds of Hollywood movies over the years – from classics like The 39 Steps and On the Waterfront to contemporary hits like Seabiscuit and Titanic.
Here are some events going on around the country this weekend as we wrap up National Salvation Army Week. Make plans to join us if you’re in the area:
- Ft. Lauderdale, FL: Tomorrow The Salvation Army is hosting The MOST Amazing Race, a fundraising event benefitting area family homeless shelters. The first team to finish this scavenger-hunt-like race (based off of the CBS show “The Amazing Race”) wins $1,000!
- San Diego, CA: The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center will hold a Free Family Fun Day on Saturday, May 15. Grab your parents, bring the kids, and come join!
- Pueblo, CO: Tomorrow The Salvation Army is hosting an open house block party for the community with games, food, and lots of fun!
- Houston, TX: The Salvation Army is holding their Talent Showcase on Saturday, May 15. We can’t wait to see these performances.
- San Francisco, CA: The Salvation Army’s Harbor Light Center will do a homeless outreach walk on Saturday and distribute donuts. Later that day they’ll host a time of fellowship and music when residents of the center will serve coffee and pastries to event goers. In the southern part of the city, The Salvation Army will host an Arts and Crafts Bazaar to raise funds for building water tanks in Africa.
- Salt Lake City, UT: Since the state legislature is recessed during Salvation Army Week, The Salvation Army will be hosting a lunch at the Capitol for elected leaders on Wednesday, May 19.
In honor of National Salvation Army Week, everyday we are posting one interesting fact on our blog and an event on our website demonstrating how Salvation Army’s across the country are celebrating. Click here for more information on the history of National Salvation Army Week.