From Our Kitchen To Yours This Valentine’s Day
Maybe you’re cooking dinner for a special someone this Valentine’s Day, or maybe you’re celebrating with a meal for one tonight. Whatever your situation, we’ve got a tasty idea for you from Salvation Army Chef Josh Arnold who runs our Culinary Training Program in Louisville, KY.
He’s shared a Shrimp Fettucini Alfredo and Chocolate Covered Strawberries recipes that will help you keep things simple but sweet this Feb. 14th.
Once you’re done creating your own culinary masterpieces, read here how Chef Josh is using his kitchen to help homeless and low-income individuals turn their lives around.
SHRIMP FETTUCINI ALFREDO
- 1 pound fettuccini pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound cooked shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt to taste
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. In a large skillet, sauté shrimp and garlic in the butter for about one minute. Pour in half and half; stir. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese in one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly. After all Parmesan is added, mix in parsley and salt. Stir frequently making sure it does not boil. Sauce will take a while to thicken.
3. When sauce has thickened, combine with cooked pasta noodles; serve hot.
CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES
- 1 12oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 12 oz. package white chocolate chips
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, brandy, coffee or your favorite liqueur
- Approx. 50 strawberries
- *Chopped Nuts optional*
1. Rinse strawberries and dry completely
2. Melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Mix in half and half and vanilla. Remove from heat.
3. Push a toothpick into the stem end of the strawberries. Dip strawberries into the melted chocolate. Turn strawberry upside down and push the toothpick into a styrofoam block, or set on very lightly oiled piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet, so the chocolate will dry evenly. Allow to set.
4. Melt white chocolate and drizzle over the dipped strawberries.
*Optional – Roll freshly dipped strawberry (while chocolate is still melted) in your favorite chopped nuts.*
5. Allow to set until ready to serve.