Happy National Salvation Army Week!
Today’s no ordinary Monday – it’s the first day of our 58th annual National Salvation Army Week! Every year we use this week to say ‘thank you’ to our volunteers, donors, and beneficiaries who have enabled us to serve in the United States for more than 130 years! Read more about this year’s celebration here.
Typically observed in the second week of May, National Salvation Army Week was first declared by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1954. In the proclamation, Eisenhower noted: “Among Americans, The Salvation Army has long been a symbol of wholehearted dedication to the cause of human brotherhood . . . Their work has been a constant reminder to us all that each of us is neighbor and kin to all Americans, giving freely of themselves, the men and women of The Salvation Army have won the respect of us all.”
Everyday this week we’ll post on our national website a Salvation Army “Did You Know” video, and on our blog we’ll list Salvation Army Week events going on around the country. We hope you’ll learn something new and know just how much we appreciate your support!
Here are just a few National Salvation Army Week events taking place this week in an area near you:
- Kerrville, TX: The Salvation Army Kroc Corps Community Center will celebrate give out free coffee, doughnuts, and water to the community as a thank you for the continued support. The Army’s canteen will hand out goodies between 11am and 1pm (CT) at the Kerrville Wal-Mart Monday, May 9 and the Kroc Center Tuesday and Wednesday May 10 and 11.
- Harrisonburg, VA: The Salvation Army will serve doughnuts and coffee from a Salvation Army Mobile Canteen on North Main St. outside WHSV (ABC TV 3) on Monday, May 9. On Saturday, May 14, James Madison University’s baseball team will celebrate Salvation Army Night during its match-up against Towson University. Fans can bring one canned good for general admission.
- Turlock, CA: On May 9, community members will participate in the Sixth Annual Century 21 M&M and Associates Charity Golf Classic at the Turlock Golf & Country Club with all proceeds benefiting The Salvation Army. More than $77,000 has been raised in the past five years.
- Suisun City, CA: The Salvation Army will hold an Open House Party on May 9 at the newly opened welcome center of the Ray and Joan Kroc Community Center. Visitors can see the latest construction renderings of the Kroc Center, research and apply for open positions, meet the Kroc Krew and much more.
- Indianapolis, IN: The Salvation Army will host the week-long “Bite Back Box Fest,” asking community members to drop off a Bite Back Box with donations to help the Army bite back against homelessness. Boxes can be picked up and returned at The Salvation Army, and the box with the largest donation receives a $100 gift card. The Army will also be celebrating 128 years in Indiana with live music, food and games during the Red Kettle Cookout on Thursday, May 12 at University Park in downtown.
- Washington, DC: The Salvation Army will partner with Dunkin Donuts to hand out free doughnuts at various Metro stations to commuters in the Greater Washington area. Doughnuts will be given away each weekday morning between 7:30 and 9:30am. Metros include:
o Monday: Vienna/Fairfax-GMU Station
o Tuesday: New Carrollton
o Wednesday: King Street Station
o Thursday: Medical Center Station
o Friday: Pentagon City