Did You Know, Pt. 2: Ground Zero
Did you know more than 40,000 Salvation Army personnel and volunteers served the needs of responders for nine months at Ground Zero following the 9/11 terror attacks? The Salvation Army’s service after the attacks on the Twin Towers was our largest mobilization ever on US soil.
This is just another interesting fact we’re sharing in honor of National Salvation Army Week taking place May 9 -15 (watch Monday’s ‘Did You Know?’ video here). To learn more about this annual tradition, click here.
We’re celebrating all across the country by saying thanks to our volunteers, supporters, and communities! Here are just a few of several events going on:
- Guayama, Puerto Rico: The Guayama Corps will host a variety of events including “The Lassies and the Doughnut” on Tuesday, May 10 – a night honoring Salvation Army lassies who provided doughnuts to American soldiers during WWI – and a free concert featuring Christian singer Miriam Cortés on Saturday, May 14.
- Syracuse, NY: The Salvation Army of Syracuse will partner with P&C Food & Pharmacy to deliver free doughnuts throughout the week as a special thanks and symbol of friendship to community members for their continued support.
- Yuba City, CA: The Salvation Army will host a “Progressive Dinner” on Tuesday, May 10. Attendees will begin at the Corps’ Social Services office for appetizers and then “progress” to the Depot Family Crisis Center for dinner.. From there, attendees will progress to the Transitional Housing program to tour the program and have dessert.
- Galveston County, TX: The Salvation Army will thank community partner banks all week by serving coffee and doughnuts in the morning and ice cream in the afternoon from a canteen at each location. Partner banks include Texas First Bank, HomeTown Bank, Frost Bank and Moody National Bank.
- Cincinnati, OH: The Salvation Army will hold its 55th Annual Civic & Awards Luncheon on Tuesday, May 10th. The event will highlight “Our Mission of Service,” and include two award presentations, a video presentation and musical performances.
- Lexington, KY: Donors, volunteers and corporate partners will be treated to an Annual Appreciation Luncheon on May 11th.