Happy National Salvation Army Week!
It’s officially here!
Today, we kick off our 59th annual National Salvation Army Week. Each year, this week serves as an opportunity to celebrate our volunteers, donors and program beneficiaries who have enabled us to serve in the United States for 132 years.
In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower named this week as a reminder to Americans to give freely of themselves. We’re thankful for this opportunity to recognize the 3 million volunteers who give of themselves to The Salvation Army each year. That’s 8,000 volunteers “Doing the Most Good” each day!
In his speech, President Eisenhower noted,
“Among Americans, The Salvation Army has long been a symbol of wholehearted dedication to the cause of human brotherhood. In time of war, the men and women of this organization have brought to those serving their country far from home, friendliness and warm concern. In the quieter days of peace, their work has been a constant reminder to us all that each of us is neighbor and kin to all Americans. Giving freely of themselves, the men and women of The Salvation Army have won the respect of us all.”
To recognize our nation’s volunteers, we’ll be featuring pictures and videos of individuals who have told or showed us how they “Do the Most Good” in their communities throughout this entire week. We give thanks for these supporters who share The Salvation Army’s vision for a better world. Stay tuned to our blog, Facebook and Twitter pages this week for pictures and videos of volunteers.
It’s certainly not too late to submit your own picture or video and it’s very easy to do so. Click here to learn how to join our campaign.
In celebration of this week, a variety of events and activities honoring donors, supporters and beneficiaries will take place across the country. Read on to find local events in your area:
- Atlanta, GA: The Salvation Army in Atlanta will host multiple webcasts at 12:30pm throughout the week, taking from the successful “Our People” musical and presenting a daily vignette with dialogue between the characters from the musical and songs. The Salvation Army will also host a lunch that will benefit the Rwanda & Burundi Command, a new preschool started by a small outpost in a rural area.
- Augusta, GA: The Salvation Army will host an open house at the First Stop Family Service Center on May 14. The Army will host multiple events at the Newnan Service Center, including serving donuts on May 14, a Fire Safety Day with the local fire department on May 15, an Art Art and more Art event that teaches basic art on May 16, a Quilting 101 class on May 17, and a Free Nutritional Education Class at the local Kroc Community Center on May 17.
- Boise, ID: The Salvation Army in Boise will have a National Salvation Army Week proclamation signed by Idaho Governor Butch Otter and will participate in the Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce Expo 2012.
- Charlotte, NC: The Charlotte Area Command has coordinated with the Wells Fargo’s Duke Energy Center to light up the uptown high-rise building in red for The Salvation Army on May16.
- Cincinnati, OH: The Salvation Army in Greater Cincinnati will celebrate National Salvation Army Week with a large volunteer effort on May 12, orchestrated through the local United Way, with more than 200 volunteers taking part for the third straight year in a major effort to complete improvement and clean-up projects at Camp SWONEKY, a local Salvation Army camp facility.
- Colorado Springs, CO: The Salvation Army will host an open house and barbeque event at the R.J. Montgomery Center on May 17, with a free catered dinner in Colorado Springs.
- Denver, CO: The Salvation Army will participate in the “Send a Kid to Camp” fundraising drive with Clear Channel Studios in the Denver Tech Center on May 11. On May 12, the Army will hold a Bass Pro Shop Silent Auction and Bagging for Tips event to raise funds to send children to camp, with live remote provided from Clear Channel Radio. The Army will also partner with Lamar’s Donuts and kick off a live in-store promotion of National Salvation Army Week on May 14. In addition, The Salvation Army will hold a Senior Day at Denver Red Shield with lunch and a health and wellness fair on May 15.
- Eugene, OR: The Salvation Army will have a National Salvation Army Week display at their local thrift store, and it will offer a special discount to customers during the week.
- Fort Collins, CO: The Fort Collins Corps Advisory Board is planning a tea party at the local Sam’s Club.
- Fresno County (Clovis, Fresno Citadel, and Fresno Temple Corps), CA: On May 14, Salvation Army Captain Dwaine Breazeale of the Fresno Citadel Corps will throw out the first pitch at Salvation Army Night at the Fresno Grizzlies baseball game. The Salvation Army will also participate in the inaugural Salvation Army Invitational Golf Classic at the Fig Garden Country Club, sponsored by Zenith Insurance and United Valley Health Insurance on May 18. Additionally, The Salvation Army will also participate in the thrift-fashion Rosecrest Fashion Show, on May 19, to benefit the Women of Rosecrest Adult Rehabilitation Center in Fresno.
- Gainesville, FL: The Gainesville Corps is planning for their Singing Company to debut at a local nursing home and offer the residents small gifts.
- Homer, AK: The Salvation Army will host a major sale at their Family Store and give away Red Shield cookies and coffee along with gift certificates to the store.
- Inglewood, CA: The Salvation Army will be delivering donuts to the local Police Department, City Hall, Chamber of Commerce and other community partners in Inglewood. The Army will also participate in a “Random Acts of Kindness” program wherein local area residents will be rewarded with small gift bags.
- Klawock, AK: The Salvation Army will have a Court of Awards/Banquet for troops for the Serving Our Community with Kindness campaign.
- Las Vegas, NV: The Salvation Army will host its Annual Awards Benefit Banquet featuring a guest speaker and silent auction to raise money to refurbish the rooms on the Lied Social Services Campus residences on May 16.
- Long Beach, CA: Salvation Army Divisional Commanders Doug and Colleen Riley will be presenting the Army’s Partnership Award to Darrick J.Simpson, Executive Director of the Long Beach Community Action Partnership agency, at the monthly Advisory Board meeting on May 15.
- Modesto, CA: The Salvation Army will participate in the 16th annual Kids Day event on May 15, where hundreds of volunteers will take to the streets in Modesto to sell special editions of “The Modesto Bee” newspaper, with proceeds benefitting the Army.
- Newark, CA: The Tri-Cities Army will participate in Bread Rack on May 17, an event where top donors will help distribute bread and food bags to needy families and individuals.
- Oakland, CA: The Oakland Chinatown Corps is inviting the public to tour its facility, highlighting programs and ministries such as the senior lunch program, on May 17.
- Panama City, FL: The Salvation Army in Panama City will have a grand opening of their new donation processing center and expansion of their main Family Store.
- Pendleton, OR: The Pendleton Corps held a signing of the Proclamation for National Salvation Army Week on May 2 at the Umatilla County Commissioner’s Meeting.
- Red Bluff, CA: The Red Bluff Corps will benefit from a Red Shield Campaign, during which local businesses will compete with each other in order to raise money for the Army during the month of May.
- Reno, NV: The Salvation Army will host the Women’s Auxiliary Annual Membership Luncheon, on May 19, to celebrate the 1st anniversary as a chartered group.
- Ridgecrest, CA: The local Albertsons Supermarket will host an early National Donut Day celebration to honor The Salvation Army and provide free donuts for customers.
- Roseburg, OR: The Salvation Army will partner with the local Fred Meyer store to host a food drive for the Army’s food pantry.
- Sacramento, CA: The Sacramento River Cats will work with community volunteers to pack boxes of food for those in need at The Salvation Army’s Family Services Warehouse on May 14.
- Salem, OR: On May 15, The Salvation Army will host a “Belief in Action” luncheon wherein those helped by the Army will be able to give their testimonials and raise awareness of the work of the Army. On May 20, the Army will have approximately one hundred uniformed soldiers rallied at the Riverfront Park for an evangelistic outpouring of God’s Spirit to conduct the first Open Air Meeting in Salem in approximately twenty years.
- San Diego, CA: The Salvation Army in San Diego will release its “Door of Hope” video to celebrate 125 years of involvement in the community.
- San Francisco, CA: The Salvation Army and FedEx will hold a press conference on May 18 to announce FedEx’s donation of a new Disaster Response Unit (Canteen) for the San Francisco Metro Coordination area. San Francisco 49ers Coach Jim Harbaugh and San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee are also expected to participate in the event.
- Santa Rosa, CA: The Salvation Army’s Double Punches Boxing Club will host the Fists of Fire amateur boxing tournament on May 12.
- St. Paul, MN: A Twin Cities donor is offering a $250,000 match to The Salvation Army’s shelter for homeless youth in St. Paul. The matching opportunity applies to The Salvation Army’s Bed & Bread Club, whose members give regular donations of $10 or more every month. New club members who join by May 31 will have their entire monthly commitment matched until May 2013. Click here to learn more.
- Suisun City, CA: Charter members and school representatives will be able to view a sneak peek of the new Salvation Army Kroc Community Center in Suisun City on May 14.
- Turlock, CA: The Salvation Army will benefit from The Seventh Annual Century 21 M&M and Associates Charity Golf Classic at the Turlock Golf & Country Club on May 14. The Salvation Army will also host a Community Awareness Day on May 18, where local agencies can set up booths at The Salvation Army Turlock Community Center to share information and resources with the public.
- Winston-Salem, NC: The Salvation Army in Winston-Salem will hold their Annual Boys and Girls Club Dinner on May 10, with guest speaker Charlotte Jones Anderson, National Chairperson of The Salvation Army’s National Advisory Board and Executive Vice President of Brand Management and President of Charities of the Dallas Cowboys.
- Yuba City, CA: The Salvation Army will participate in the Homeless One Stop on May 18, sponsored by the local Continuum of Care, where homeless people can come to one location to gather information on all of the resources available to help them overcome their homelessness.
Click here for our official press release.