Happy National Salvation Army Week!
Today’s no ordinary Monday – it’s the first day of our 60th annual National Salvation Army Week. This week of recognition was first declared by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1954 – 74 years after The Salvation Army arrived in the U.S. – who stated in his proclamation:
“Among Americans, The Salvation Army has long been a symbol of wholehearted dedication to the cause of human brotherhood . . . Their work has been a constant reminder to us all that each of us is neighbor and kin to all Americans, giving freely of themselves, the men and women of The Salvation Army have won the respect of us all.”
Each year we use this week to say ‘thank you’ to the three million volunteers who give of their time and talents to The Salvation Army and enable critical services to communities, families and individuals in need. If you can believe it, that’s 8,000 volunteers “Doing the Most Good” for their neighbors each day!
Celebrating our supporters, throughout this week we will be featuring fans and followers on social media who told us how they “Do the Most Good” in their own communities by using the hashtag #IDTMG on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. We hope you’ll join in and tell us how you choose to give back each day.
The Salvation Army is celebrating National Salvation Army Week in a variety of ways this week across the country. For events near you, visit www.SalvationArmyUSA.org to find a list of locations.
Here are just a few events taking place near you. Click on the links to learn more or to show your support.
- Saturday, May 11: Transformed Treasures Fundraiser Auction – 100 Artists have transformed donations from Anchorage area Family Stores to create unique pieces, everything from wearable art to furniture.
- Thursday, May 16: Elected officials tour & thank you luncheon - Inviting all Alaska legislators and Anchorage elected officials to join us for a half day tour of our Salvation Army programs, ending with a lunch event.
- Saturday, May 18: Municipality of Anchorage Fire Department Open House – The Salvation Army’s mobile kitchen will be on display, teaming up with the Anchorage Fire Department to help cook and serve breakfast for the event, followed by an all-day BBQ!
- Tuesday, May 14th: $10 Bag Sale — For National Salvation Army Week, the Homer, AK Family Store will be having a $10.00 bag sale during store hours, and free hot dogs from the hours of 12:00-2:00 pm for the community.
- Saturday, May 18th: Sunbeams will be doing a “change 4 change” campaign by collecting coins throughout the week to benefit The Salvation Army’s services and ministry in Angoon.
- Men’s Ministry breakfast open to all men in the community.
- An inaugural neighborhood block party will take place on Sunday May 19th at 4:00 p.m..
- Thursday, May 16: Annual Golf Classic –2nd Annual Invitational Golf Classic, with proceeds benefitting Salvation Army youth, camps and programs.
- Sunday, May 19: Salvation Army Day with the Fresno Grizzlies – The Grizzlies are the Triple-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants. In addition to the tickets we have pre-sold as a fundraiser, the Grizzlies will donate $1 of every walk-up ticket sold that day to The Salvation Army.
- Wednesday, May 15: Salvation Army Emergency Response Teams will participate in Golden Guardian 2013: A San Francisco Bay Area-wide Earthquake exercise. The Salvation Army will work with state and federal agencies, non-governmental organizations and private sector partners during this effort, which helps test San Francisco’s Earthquake Readiness Response and Operations Plan. Specifically, The Salvation Army will deploy its mobile feeding units (Canteens) and help lead a simulated mass-feeding exercise to serve the more vulnerable, low-income neighborhoods of San Francisco. More info at: www.calema.ca.gov/trainingandexercises/pages/exercises.aspx
Modesto Red Shield Center:
- May 15 – 11:30am: Fiesta Luncheon: Kick-off for the annual “Kid’s Day” fundraiser for the following week. Volunteers throughout the city will be invited to the center to see what we do, have lunch and get geared up for the event on the 21st.
- Thursday, May 16 – 3:00pm: Open house and tutoring volunteer recognition event. There will tours of the facility and a special presentation of appreciation to volunteers that help throughout the year.
- Monday, May 13: 8th Annual Century 21 M&M and Associates Charity Golf Classic.
- Friday, May 17: 3rd Annual Social Service Information Fair: Come learn more about the many helpful service programs available in Turlock. 10-15 agencies/vendors are on hand with program information. Participants are given a card to collect stamps from different vendors. Once the card is full, the participant will go home with a free bag of groceries.
Sierra del Mar
- Tuesday, May 14: Bikes for Kids partnership with NBC7 — Presenting ten bikes at Casillas Elementary on Tuesday, May 14 at 9:00 am (coverage by NBC7 and morning traffic/w anchor Whitney Southwick)
- Thursday, May 16: IDTMG Award – Presented by The Salvation Army Metropolitan Advisory Board, San Diego Chargers and ABC10 anchor Bill Griffith at 6:00 pm on Thursday, May 16, when the Chargers serve dinner downtown to the homeless at The Salvation Army Centre City Corps.
- The Salvation Army National Capital Area Command is marking the local observance of National Salvation Army Week with an exhibit called Others from April 30 to May 16, 2013 at the Pepco Edison Place Gallery in downtown DC. Others is an exposition of photographs exploring The Salvation Army’s legacy and impact in the nation’s capital. The gallery is located at 702 8th Street, NW, adjacent to Pepco headquarters.
- Tuesday, May 14th: Tampa Bay Rays vs. Yankees Game -The Salvation Army will recognize the Rays organization and Coach Joe Maddon for their partnership with Christmas and throughout the year just before the first pitch of the game! A Salvation Army Brass Ensemble will play the National Anthem.
- Thursday, May 16th:- Second Annual All Star Breakfast with special guest speaker former FSU Coach Bobby Bowden – Breakfast for approximately 300 community leaders to celebrate “Community All Star” Award recipients who have partnered with the Army in the last year to make a difference in our community – such as former Tampa Bay Bucs player Mike Alstott.
- Family Thrift stores across Hawaii will be offering a one-day sale to thank the public for its support. ARC thrift stores in Honolulu will offer as much as 50% discount on all items in all of its Honolulu stores. Legislators will be invited to an Open House at The Salvation Army Family Treatment Services. This will give them an opportunity to learn more about how this program is changing the lives of women addicted to drugs.
- From May 13-17, Family Stores in Massachusetts are collecting clothing and non-perishable food donations, and will give donors 50% off their purchase that day. The following locations are participating: Worcester, Fitchburg, Framingham, Gardner, Northbridge, and Spencer.
- Thursday, May 16: The Advisory Board in Lowell is holding its annual Civic Dinner, with former state Senator Steve Panagiotakos speaking at the event.
- Tuesday, May 21 at 10:00 a.m.: The North Shore Corps Community Center will dedicate its newly-renovated Beverly Social Services Office. Community leaders will be invited to join members of the North Shore Advisory Board as they cut the ribbon at 50 Elliott Street.
- Thursday, May 16: Donor Appreciation Luncheon – 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Doubletree by Hilton
Portland: Click here to see a list of events.
- May 13 – 14: The Salvation Army Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center will be delivering small baskets of cookies to public officials, police, fire, and other community partners.
- Thursday, May 16: Belief in Action Benefit Dinner
- Friday, May 17: Iris Festival
- Wednesday, May 15: FedEx is donating a custom $100,000 Disaster Response Unit (DRU) to The Salvation Army, the first of its kind to be used in Western Pennsylvania. The new DRU will help Salvation Army workers and volunteers better serve the community during and after natural disasters. To commemorate this this special occasion, the DRU will demonstrate its capabilities for the first time at the Pittsburgh International Airport Air Reserve Station, which is known for its expertise in disaster response. Personnel from the 911th Airlift Wing, 171st Air Refueling Wing, 316th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) and National Disaster Medical System (NDMS) will be on hand to participate in this inaugural event.