Forget the Flowers: Make Lasting Impact this Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day is this Friday, which means you’re either well prepared to impress your sweetheart or you’ve penciled in “make plans” on your Thursday to-do list (procrastinating feels so good).
While there are lots of ways to show someone you love them, few gifts – aside from too many chocolates – have lasting impact. Forget the reservations and forge a new path to celebrating love this year through gifts that give back and make the world a little brighter. Whether you’re single or attached, flushed with cash or have only a few bucks to your name, here are a six meaningful ways you can celebrate love this Valentine’s Day without overspending.
- Friday night FUNraising: With the holiday kicking off the weekend, offer your friends a good incentive for giving back by throwing your own Valentine’s Day-themed party that supports your favorite charity. Collect canned food items or winter coats at the door, declare an admission price or sell raffle tickets with all proceeds going to charity.
- Roses are red, violets are blue, I’m a volunteer, will you be one too? Volunteers are invaluable to organizations like The Salvation Army. Get a free, feel-good experience by yourself or with a buddy by tutoring a child in one of our afterschool programs, serving food at one of our shelters or sorting goods at our Family Stores. Visit www.SalvationArmyUSA.org for a location near you.
- Go small and go home: If you’ve ever been the benefactor of a kind stranger paying for your order at the drive-through, you know that random acts of kindness are not easily forgotten. Buy coffee, lunch or a toll payment for someone behind you in line. Or give your neighbor a break from polar vortexes by shoveling their driveway.
- Support disaster relief in the Philippines: Typhoon Haiyan, the biggest storm ever recorded, devastated the communities and livelihoods of thousands in Southeast Asia. The Salvation Army continues to provide lifesaving support while transitioning to long-term rebuilding and recovery operations. Text TYPHOON to 80888* to make a $10 donation, or visit https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/typhoonhaiyan to donate online. And check out this video about how The Salvation Army is serving those impacted by this storm.
- Declutter and do good: Our Adult Rehabilitation Centers, which helped save the lives of approximately 200,000 men and women last year, are funded by your donated goods. Get a fresh start to spring by decluttering gently used items from your home. You can schedule a pickup or find a drop-off location by visiting www.satruck.org.
- Show the love in someone’s honor: Long distance from your parents or best friend? Donate to your charity of choice in their honor, and tell them about the impact made on their behalf via Valentine. Talk about getting a double return on your investment!