Monday, September 13, 2010
The Salvation Army’s Disaster Radio has released a new podcast about our efforts in response to the tragic San Bruno fire.
Community members and Salvation Army personnel Major Kelly Pontsler and Lt. Anthony Barnes discuss their experience as they jumped into action following the gas explosion.
Listen to the podcast here: Disaster Radio Field Report – San Bruno Gas Explosion
RELIEF EFFORTS UPDATE
The Salvation Army is partnering with other relief organizations to provide aid, counseling, and practical immediate support to those families displaced by the fiery gas line explosion on September 9. At the Local Assistance Center (at the San Bruno Veterans Recreational Center), The Salvation Army is providing families with:
· Vouchers to Salvation Army Family Thrift Stores, to assist with the purchase of household items, clothing, or other resources as families begin to move into new housing.
· Target gift cards, giving families the ability to purchase the supplies they need
· Long distance phone cards
· The option to sign-up for FREE appointments with a Salvation Army Caseworker, for helpful assistance and additional counseling well into the future.
LONG TERM ASSISTANCE
After the smoke clears and families begin to think about long-term recovery and rebuilding, The Salvation Army will be available to provide counseling and caseworker services. Some of the services include rental assistance, utility assistance, clothing/furniture vouchers, food, and referrals. San Bruno Fire survivors seeking caseworker or counseling support can contact The Salvation Army of South San Francisco at 650-266-4591 to schedule an appointment or inquire about additional services.
DONATIONS TO ASSIST SURVIVORS
Thanks to the generosity of the San Bruno and greater Bay Area communities, The Salvation Army have been inundated with donations of clothing and blankets from the public. While clothing donations are always good, the following items are VERY helpful for rebuilding homes or just bringing comfort to those displaced:
· furniture (couches, tables, chairs, desks, dressers)
· small appliances (microwaves, small refrigerators, coffee machines, etc.),
· electronics (TVs, radios, clocks, DVD players, etc.)
· pictures, art
· DVDs, videos, CDs
· Other misc. household goods (kitchenware, etc.)
While material donations are indeed helpful, financial gifts give a greater ability to provide the appropriate goods to families for rebuilding their homes and lives. 100% of all donations made to the Salvation Army San Bruno Fire Disaster Relief fund will go to help those affected by this catastrophe.
PHONE: 1-800-Sal-Army (1-800-725-2769)
The Salvation Army
PO Box 80066
Prescott, AZ. 86304-8066
Be sure to designate donations for “San Bruno Fire Relief”
For more information and updates, visit The Salvation Army’s Golden State Division website at www.tsagoldenstate.org.